Pasting from text files, yayyy ^_^
Principles of marketplace competition in or out of an MMO, aka
'8 May 2010 competition.txt'
8 May 2010
1) when value of time for other players is low, let them make it instead of yourself.
2) complementary goods, tendency for demand of a final good to be fixed. Increase of one due to outside factors leads to predictable decrease in other.
3) "low wage" often operates under instantaneous profit due to high risk of investment.
4) idea that profit must come from the craft leads to contradiction when faced with no effort competition. Reselling is a risk, ability to use the invested resources mitigates risk when value of effort of competitors is uncertain leading to unpredictable demand for resources.
5) Items with high information about worth, vs items with low information about worth. High profit per item vs high profit from quantity and sell volume/velocity, especially with limited space to show offers. Low quantity of demand may make certain items never efficient to sell, which changes difficulty of acquiring them and alters methods of interaction, with more information not always more fun...
9 May 2010
6) Cost of storage (volume/upkeep not just perishable), and relationship between effort and profit compared to cost of inventory vs profit. Certain types of work give relatively constant profit per time, others tend toward profit as a proportion of investment/inventory. Being able to reach the point where effort is the limiter, not capital or inventory.
24 May 2010
7) A single supplier market does not accurately determine prices. Monopoly will tend to have higher prices with less sales, but more profit per sale. Due to uncertainty in demand and future changes, so assumes that unmet needs will persist and that short-term sales volume does not depend on demand, only on lowest seller in the market. Does not encourage use of little-known products due to high price. "Major recovery potions"
8) If sales velocity is more important than restricted resources of time and materials to create, the only competition is current price and market price over time becomes less important.
6 June 2010
9) Multiple sellers will not achieve a competitive price either if acceptance of risk is low. Sales of both resources and final product will stagnate and resource price will drop creating further profit from oversupply and lack of communication between different layers of production.
10) Key principle "prepare for market changes", achieve fluidity then buy/make deals for materials before instantaneous demand and prices bring material cost up.
18 June 2010
11) Preference for useful methods or services, not just the ones that would make the most profit. Search for new goals and validation during the process of working.
25 June 2010
12) Fluidity has value, so exchange of items can become attractive due to lower number of transactions. (aka "Don't you hate it when you can't even give away a valuable item for free")
'goals 24 May 2010.txt'
24 May 2010
short-term goals vs long-term goals? Length of time to find a solution, effect on other people and other goals.
progress and opportunity costs, the effect of going to a different place. Lost options dependent on short-term goals. Relation of performance with expectation for self, and consistency with perception of concept of self by others, what should be possible. Depends on goals or standards that are defined outside the self, due to inability to predict constancy under change. To forget, or to not be able to forget...
Therefore, change is necessary.
11 Jun 2010
A society can support many different types of people.
'specialization 8 Apr 2010.txt'
8 Apr 2010
a single goal is boring. Two goals that conflict, such as doing damage and not dying becoming more difficult is better. Specialization is a choice between goals. Interesting mechanics have implications for other players, and a negative result in one situation is positive in another. Without interactions no reason to care. Good performance is not reason to care. Risk justifies action by making it able to be respected as a less than selfish decision, whereas example: high dps with no risk has no point and is not interesting or respectable if done for self benefit.
9 Apr 2010
compare: specialization which increases options (situational spells gain further situational use) vs decreases options (ability use is entirely filled with a subset of options).
either 'RP value' of expression, or group benefit from tradeoff in form of increased options for other players and opportunity to benefit with correct play. Survivability specialization that does not increase volatility reduces relative options of other players.
Specialization options that are non-stacking depend on the existing abilities that can be modified.
importance of balance. King of China. (restatement of first paragraph)
knowledge specialization, indiv vs group benefit? doctor, or psychology(games). Seeing things in a different way and benefit to others from this viewpoint
30 May 2010
「委」 leave to; entrust; minute; detailed
「委託売買」 brokerage; agency; transaction
controller? requires knowing capabilities of others...
30 May 2010
from "building a healthy end game server culture" thread.
A game that attracts leadership?